This vibrant creation not only looks totally Instagram-worthy, it’s comforting, creamy, and completely delicious! Strawberries and cream porridge is packed with healthy fats, fibre and natural sweetness. It’s made easily on the hob in just a few steps and keeps you feeling fuelled all morning – the best kind of breakfast! Plus, despite the ‘cream’, this is a dairy-free/vegan recipe (and gluten-free of course!).
Love your morning oats? This Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana Porridge is another tasty bowlful to try!
What goes in strawberries and cream porridge?
The recipe is made with a few simple ingredients that you might already have in your kitchen:
- Rolled oats
- Fresh or frozen strawberries
- Tinned coconut milk
- Vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- Fresh lemon juice
What type of oats are best for porridge?
I prefer to use whole rolled oats, as they give the porridge a little more texture. But any kind of oats will work just fine!
Can I swap the strawberries for a different fruit?
Definitely! This may be a classic flavour combo but there are so many fruits that would taste equally amazing with these creamy oats. Why not try:
Can I make it in the microwave?
Yes – instead of warming the oats and liquid on the hob, pop them in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 4 minutes, stirring once half way through. Just remember that the porridge will bubble up whilst cooking so make sure to use a bowl big enough that it won’t boil over. The whole strawberries for topping (along with the lemon juice and maple syrup) could also be microwaved in 30 second intervals until soft and juicy but still holding their shape.
Other tasty breakfasts to try:
- Peach French Toast
- Crispy Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Banana Bread Pancakes
- Blueberry Avocado Smoothie
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana Porridge
- Maple Pecan Granola
If you make yourself a bowlful of this fruity, oaty goodness, don’t forget to let us know how you got on by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also tag us in photos of your creations on Instagram @BlueSkyEating. Enjoy! 🙂
Strawberries and Cream Porridge
- 570 g fresh or frozen strawberries
- 400g tin coconut milk (full fat)
- 400 ml water
- 220 g whole rolled oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp + 1.5 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Open the tin of coconut milk and remove 4 tbsp of the thick creamy part at the top. Put this into a bowl, add 1/2 tsp of the maple syrup and mix together. Set this aside for topping the porridge later.
- Empty the rest of the tin of coconut milk into a blender. Add 250g of the strawberries and blend this with the milk until smooth.
- Add the oats to a pan, pour over the strawberry milk plus another 400ml of water, the vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of the maple syrup. Cook on a low-medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently until the oats have absorbed the liquid and the porridge is thick and creamy.
- Whilst the porridge cooks, add the remaining strawberries to another pan with the lemon juice and the final 1 tsp maple syrup. Cook on a low-medium heat until softened and juicy but still holding their shape.
- Once the oat mixture and strawberries are done, spoon the porridge into bowls and top with some of the reserved coconut cream mixture, followed by the cooked strawberries.
Please note that nutritional information is based on estimated quantities and therefore not always 100% accurate.