Chocolate and orange are meant to be together – especially in an incredibly squishy brownie. If you’re a lover of this flavour combo, these chocolate orange brownies are for you. They’re gooey in the middle, crackly on the top and loaded with chunks of Terry’s Chocolate Orange.
The brownies are super easy to make. Everything is mixed together in one bowl and ready to pop in the oven in less than 20 minutes. The most serious challenge is maintaining willpower while you wait for your freshly baked brownies to cool.
I used Terry’s Chocolate Orange Minis in this recipe. If you can’t get hold of these or the larger version where you live, any other orange-flavoured milk chocolate bar will work great.
Is Terry’s Chocolate Orange gluten-free?
Although there are no gluten-containing ingredients in Terry’s Chocolate Orange, the allergy information on the packet states that it may contain wheat. If you’re coeliac or need to be extra careful, you could use Cadbury’s Dairy Milk Orange Giant Buttons (which have no may contain warning). Or, it’s also possible to make your own 100% safe orange chocolate! The method below was discovered in this recipe from the brilliant Becky Excell:
- Melt 200g gluten-free milk chocolate (such as Dairy Milk Giant Buttons) in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between.
- Mix in 2 tsp orange extract
- Pour chocolate into the sections of an ice cube tray and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Once set, gently pop each piece out the tray, chop into chunks and use in place of the Terry’s. Instead of decorating with the segments, you could push a few extra chunks of chocolate into the top of each brownie.
How to get the perfect fudgy brownie texture
It’s all about the baking time! I like my brownies nice and squidgy, which means leaving them slightly underbaked in the middle. I’ve found that 23-25 minutes works well for this recipe. If you prefer a firmer brownie, baking for closer to 28 minutes might be best. Be wary of cooking for too much longer as the brownies will become more cake-like. Keep in mind they’ll be very soft fresh out the oven, and hold their shape much better once fully cooled.
I hope these fudgy chocolate orange brownies are the sweet treat you’ve been looking for! Let me know what you thought in the comments below or tag us in your Instagram pics @BlueSkyEating. Enjoy! 🙂
Fudgy Chocolate Orange Brownies
- 90 g gluten free plain flour (I use Doves Farm)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 275 g caster sugar
- 65 g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 55 g butter (melted)
- 75 g vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 150 g Terry's Chocolate Orange Minis (note these have a 'may contain wheat' warning on the packet. See post above for safe alternative options if necessary) (chopped into small chunks)
- 12 extra segments Terry's chocolate orange minis (or alternative) (for decoration – optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 150°C fan.
- Grease and line a small square baking tin – approx 7 x 7" to 8 x 8".
- Sieve flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl.
- Add xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, cornstarch and sugar. Whisk together thoroughly.
- Add the beaten eggs, butter, oil, orange extract and almond milk. Mix well.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate orange.
- Pour mixture into lined tin and bake for 25-30 minutes. Less time will result in a squishier middle whilst cooking for longer will produce a firmer brownie.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Wait until fully cooled (ideally 1-2 hours) before cutting. They will be very soft when fresh out the oven and begin to hold their shape better as they cool.
- Cut into 12 and push a mini chocolate orange segment into the top of each brownie (optional).
Please note that nutritional information is based on estimated quantities and therefore not always 100% accurate.