Prawn spaghetti always feels like it should be eaten on a sunny Mediterranean beach. If like me the weather isn’t always quite so idyllic where you live, you can join me in enjoying this dish with a slightly greyer and drizzlier backdrop! This tomato-based chilli prawn pasta is such a quick and easy weeknight dinner option. The lemon, garlic and herbs give it so much flavour that you wouldn’t guess it had been thrown together in just 15 minutes!
Tips For Cooking Gluten-Free Pasta
If you’re a frequent gluten-free pasta eater, you’ll know the texture can sometimes be a little lacklustre compared to its wheat-based cousins. But it doesn’t have to be that way! To stop it getting dry and sticky, use a large pot with plenty of water. Aim for 1 litre of water per 60g pasta. A generous sprinkle of salt in the cooking water will also add flavour. Finally, I toss a little olive oil through the pasta once it’s cooked and drained. This handy post from A Little Bit Yummy has some more in depth tips and is a great one to bookmark.
If you don’t have courgette, other green veggies such as broccoli, peas or spinach will also work great. Not a coriander fan? Leave out or swap for parsley or dill. For those sensitive to garlic, omit and replace your olive oil with 2-3 tbsp garlic-infused oil. And of course feel free to use your favourite kind of pasta.. OR you could even ditch the pasta altogether and serve up the tomatoey prawn goodness on some crispy bruschetta!
I like to top the pasta with an extra sprinkle of herbs, some sliced fresh chilli and a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese. Yum!
If you give this chilli prawn pasta a go at home don’t forget to leave a comment below or tag us on Instagram @BlueSkyEating. Enjoy!
Chilli Prawn Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g spaghetti (gluten-free if required)
- 1 large fresh red chilli (finely chopped and deseeded if you prefer less heat)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 courgette (chopped)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 small handful fresh herbs (parsley or coriander work well)
- 225 g cooked and peeled prawns (fresh or defrosted)
- 150 g cherry tomatoes (halved)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Grated parmigiano reggiano cheese (optional – you you also use a dairy-free alternative if necessary)
- Extra fresh herbs and chilli (optional)
- Add spaghetti to pan of boiling water and begin cooking as per packet instructions
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan over a medium heat
- Fry the chopped chilli for about 1 minute
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute, stirring regularly
- Add the chopped courgette and fry until softened and slightly browned
- Pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes and heat through
- Stir in the lemon juice, zest and chopped herbs
- Season to taste
- Add prawns and cook until heated through (about 2-3 minutes)
- Drain spaghetti, add to the sauce and stir together
- Serve with the fresh cherry tomatoes. A sprinkle of parmigiano reggiano cheese, extra fresh herbs or sliced chilli also make a great topping!
Please note that nutritional information is based on estimated quantities and therefore not always 100% accurate.