I remember my first attempt at making gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, taking an old favourite recipe and simply swapping out the flour for a gluten free one. It’s safe to say I learnt the hard way that this method doesn’t quite work when it comes to cookies. What entered the oven as a tray of perfectly formed cookie dough balls came out as one giant runny puddle. Since then, with a little trial and error along the way, I think I’ve cracked the ultimate recipe! These chocolate chip cookies are the perfect texture. They’re crisp on the outside and super gooey in the middle. You would honestly never guess they are gluten-free!
PLUS, at a serving of 1 cookie these are low FODMAP.
Chill Your Dough
Baking gluten free chocolate chip cookies takes a little patience. But, I promise you that each chewy, melty, chocolatey bite will remind you how worth it this was! The key step is chilling the dough for at least 4 hours. This, along with a little xanthan gum in the recipe, prevents excessive spreading in the oven (no puddle disasters here!). You could also leave the dough in the fridge overnight so the cookies are ready to bake the next morning. Adding cream cheese and swapping a portion of the butter for almond butter removes any hint of grainy or greasiness and gives the perfect smooth and chewy texture.
For this batch I went for a mixture of milk and dark chocolate (bars chopped up into chunks). Go for whatever chips or chunks take your fancy! Of course, using dark chocolate will keep the cookies lower in lactose, and make sure to check the allergy information for traces of gluten if necessary. When the cookies are fresh out the oven, you can pop a few extra chunks on top of each for some extra decoration and chocolatey-ness.
If you try out this recipe, don’t forget to leave a comment below or tag us on Instagram @BlueSkyEating. Enjoy! 🙂
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 100 g unsalted butter (melted)
- 60 g almond butter
- 230 g soft brown sugar
- 80 g caster sugar
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 egg yolk (large)
- 50 g cream cheese (I use lactose free)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 330 g gluten free plain flour blend (I use Doves Farm)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 200 g milk or dark chocolate chips/chunks (plus extra to place on top if desired!)
- Sieve gluten free flour, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl. Whisk together ensuring ingredients are well mixed. Set this aside for later.
- Place the melted butter, almond butter, cream cheese, brown sugar, caster sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix at a medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and mix at a low speed until incorporated. Repeat with the egg yolk.
- Add the flour mixture you prepared earlier to the mixer bowl. Mix on a low speed until just combined, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Finally, mix through the chocolate chunks on a low speed until evenly incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Once ready to bake, preheat the oven to 170°C. Roll the dough in evenly sized balls (each cookie should be approx 60-65g) and place on a lined baking tray. Make sure to leave enough room for spreading between each dough ball.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes.
- If adding extra chocolate chunks, push them gently onto the top of each cookie while they are still hot.
- Leave to cool for approx 30 mins. The cookies will be very soft when fresh out of the oven and firm up as they cool.
Please note that nutritional information is based on estimated quantities and therefore not always 100% accurate.