You might ask, what crazy person would want to remove the chocolate from a brownie? Well, the result is in fact a soft, buttery, almost cookie dough-like blondie, where the rich flavours of brown sugar and vanilla can shine through. In this recipe, peanut butter and white chocolate are added to that wonderful base, to create a gooey slab of deliciousness. These peanut butter blondies are incredibly easy to make, requiring just one bowl!
Gluten-free and low FODMAP
Yep, these blondies are completely gluten-free and you’d never know it! If necessary, make sure to check that your white chocolate chips don’t have a ‘may contain’ warning on the packet. According to the Monash University FODMAP app, a serving of one blondie is suitable for those following the elimination phase of the low FODMAP diet.
Can I make peanut butter blondies dairy-free?
Absolutely! Just swap out the butter for dairy-free spread, and use free from white chocolate. You can find gluten and dairy-free white chocolate bars in most large supermarkets, which could be chopped up into chunks to put in your blondie batter.
Achieving the perfect blondie texture
To ensure they come out soft and gooey, keep a close eye on the blondies when baking. If overbaked, they will become more cake-like. For a squidgy, almost underbaked blondie texture, I found that 30 minutes was the perfect amount of time. This may depend on your oven so do check them after 25 minutes. When freshly baked, they may seem a little raw in the middle but will start to firm up as they cool.
If you give these peanut butter blondies a go, let us know by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also tag snaps of your creations on Instagram @BlueSkyEating. Enjoy! 🙂
Peanut Butter Blondies (Gluten Free & Low FODMAP)
- 50 g unsalted butter (melted)
- 180 g peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 g light brown sugar
- 120 g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 200 g gluten-free plain flour (I use Doves Farm)
- 5 tbsp almond milk (or alternative milk of choice)
- 150 g white chocolate chips
- 50 g extra white chocolate chips (optional, for drizzling on top)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 150°C fan. Grease and line a square baking tin approx 7×7" – 8×8" in size.
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and peanut butter.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, brown sugar and caster sugar and beat until well mixed.
- Add the almond milk and mix again.
- Sieve in the flour and add the cornflour and xanthan gum. Gently fold in until just combined.
- Sprinkle over your chocolate chips and gently mix again to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to your baking tin and bake for approx 30 minutes. If the top starts to become too browned, cover loosely with foil. The blondies will be very gooey in the middle when first removed from the oven but will firm up as they cool.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool for at least 2 hours.
- If adding extra white chocolate on top, melt this in a bowl in the microwave (in 30 second bursts to prevent burning). Use a small spoon or knife to drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the blondies.
- Cut your blondies into 12 and enjoy! These will keep well in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Please note that nutritional information is based on estimated quantities and therefore not always 100% accurate.