Who has tried the amazing creation that is the Nandos mushroom and halloumi wrap? Fried Peri Peri halloumi and meaty portobello mushrooms, wrapped up with creamy yoghurt mayo, sweet chilli and some crunchy lettuce. It’s a winner. That’s why it was so exciting when I figured out how easy it is to make a copycat version at home! These wraps are a great quick dinner or lunch idea, and easily made gluten-free by grabbing some wraps from the free from section at the supermarket.
How to make the yoghurt mayo
These tasty wraps just wouldn’t be the same without a generous layer of creamy homemade yoghurt mayo. The Nandos version contains a very similar sauce, and I really think it’s the secret to the deliciousness! The yoghurt mayo is pretty self explanatory, made by mixing together just a few simple ingredients:
- Greek yoghurt
- Garlic powder
How to fold a tortilla wrap
Once you’ve spread over a layer of the mayo, add your filling to the bottom half of the wrap, in the centre and with plenty of space on either side. I usually start with the lettuce leaves, followed by the Peri Peri mushrooms and halloumi, before drizzling a little sweet chilli sauce on top. To fold, start by pushing the sides of the wrap inwards. Next, bring the bottom of the wrap up to meet the sides and roll upwards until nice and secure. Now you’ve assembled your very own copycat Nandos mushroom and halloumi wrap!
What are the best gluten free wraps?
There are plenty of great gluten-free tortilla wrap options in most large UK supermarkets. Some of my favourites include the Old El Paso Gluten Free Corn Wraps and the Genius Gluten Free White Wraps.
Can I keep the leftovers?
Mushroom and halloumi wraps are definitely best enjoyed fresh! Halloumi cheese isn’t great cold, as it loses that lovely soft middle. So, if you have any leftover wraps, it’s best to wait until you’re ready to enjoy them before frying up more of your Peri Peri filling ingredients.
If you try these copycat Nandos wraps, don’t forget to let us know how you got on by leaving a comment and rating below! You can also tag us in photos of your snaps on Instagram @BlueSkyEating. Enjoy! 🙂
Copycat Nandos Mushroom and Halloumi Wrap
For the wraps:
- 4 large soft tortilla wraps (gluten-free if necessary)
- ~1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp peri peri sauce (I used the Nandos Medium Peri Peri Sauce)
- 200g block of halloumi cheese
- 3 large portobello mushrooms
- ~2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- Fresh crunchy lettuce leaves
For the garlic yoghurt mayo:
- 4 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- A sprinkling of salt (to taste)
Make the garlic yoghurt mayo:
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
Prepare the mushrooms and halloumi:
- Slice the halloumi and mushrooms into flat strips and add to a large bowl.
- Add the peri peri sauce to the bowl and mix well with your hands so all of the halloumi and mushrooms and coated in the sauce.
- Add a little olive oil to 2 frying pans and set both to a medium heat.
- Place the mushrooms into one pan and the halloumi in the other. It's best to keep them separate as the mushrooms can release quite a lot of liquid as they cook.
- The halloumi will need about 2-3 minutes of frying on each side, until nice and golden brown. The mushrooms should cook in about the same amount of time. Make sure to give them a stir every now and then.
Assemble your wraps:
- Warm up the tortilla wraps by popping them in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.
- Lay out each tortilla wrap flat and spread on a layer of yoghurt mayo.
- Add your filling to the bottom half of each wrap. Start with a few lettuce leaves, followed by the fried mushrooms and halloumi. Finally, drizzle over a little sweet chilli sauce.
- Roll up each wrap and enjoy!
Please note that nutritional information is based on estimated quantities and therefore not always 100% accurate.
Super easy to make for lunch. It turned out great.
This was really delicious! But then again I love peri peri sauce in anything! LOL
I just save this on my weekly menu. It’s the perfect quick and healthy lunch for me and my husband. Thanks!
The halloumi wrap is my favorite dish at Nando’s . This was great!
It’s so tasty right?! Glad you enjoyed 🙂
Made these for lunch and they turned out so great! I subbed the yoghurt for sour cream since I was out and the lettuce for cabbage but it still tasted INCREDIBLE!!! Will definitely be trying these wraps again and this time with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions thrown in!
Hi Asma, I’m so glad you enjoyed the wraps! Those add ins sounds like a great idea too. 🙂