A perfectly soft and chewy double chocolate cookie with a twist! These mint chocolate chip cookies are gooey in the middle, crisp on the outside and filled with chunks of Aero Mint. The dark chocolate flavour of the cookie base, mixed with the sweet, melty peppermint milk chocolate makes for a deliciously indulgent treat. If you’re a big mint choc chip fan, you need these cookies in your life!
Looking for a classic cookie recipe? You’ll love these Ultimate Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Can I use an alternative mint chocolate?
I love the the bright green colour and bubbly texture that Aero Mint gives, but you can definitely adapt this recipe to include your favourite mint-flavoured chocolate. Any solid bar will work, but it’s best to avoid those with a mint cream filling as this may not bake well.
Chill your dough!
Baking the perfect gluten-free cookie takes a little patience. But, I promise you that each chewy, melty, mint chocolatey bite will remind you how worth it this was! The key step is chilling the dough for at least 4 hours. This, along with a little xanthan gum in the recipe, prevents excessive spreading in the oven. You could also prep the dough the day before and leave it in the fridge overnight so the cookies are ready to bake the next morning.
Prepping the mint chocolate chip cookie dough balls
Once your dough is nicely chilled, it’s time to roll it into balls ready for baking. Each ball should weight around 60-65g. They will need to be well spaced apart on a lined baking tray to prevent them turning into one giant cookie (not that this would be the worst thing in the world!).
Can I make dairy-free mint chocolate chip cookies?
No problem! Simply swap out the butter for a dairy-free spread, make sure your cocoa powder doesn’t contain milk, and use dairy-free mint chocolate/chocolate chips. I’ve spotted this Moo Free mint chocolate in a few large supermarkets and health food shops.
If you give these deliciously minty cookies a go, I’d love to hear what you think! Let me know how you got on in the comments below or by tagging us in photos of your bakes on Instagram @BlueSkyEating. Enjoy! 🙂
Aero Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 160 g unsalted butter (melted)
- 160 g soft brown sugar
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 50 g cream cheese (I use Arla Lactofree)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 330 g gluten-free plain flour (I use Doves Farm)
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 180 g Aero Mint (roughly chopped into chunks)
- 40 g dark chocolate chips
- Extra Aero Mint (to put on top, optional!)
- Sieve gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl. Whisk together ensuring ingredients are well mixed. Set this aside for later.
- Place the melted butter, cream cheese, brown sugar, caster sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix at a medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and mix at a low speed until incorporated. Repeat with the egg yolk.
- Add the flour mixture you prepared earlier to the mixer bowl. Mix on a low speed until just combined, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Finally, briefly mix through the Aero chunks and chocolate chips on a low speed until evenly incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Once ready to bake, preheat the oven to 170°C. Roll the dough into evenly sized balls (each cookie should be approx 60-65g) and place on a lined baking tray. Make sure to leave enough room for spreading between each dough ball.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, keeping a close eye on them. Remember that if the cookies seem a little too gooey they will firm up more as they cool.
- If adding extra Aero Mint chocolate on top, carefully push the chunks onto each cookie when they are fresh out of the oven.
- Leave to cool on the tray for approx 15 mins before transferring to a cooling rack for another 30 mins to an hour.
Please note that nutritional information is based on estimated quantities and therefore not always 100% accurate.