Pesto pasta – that dinner you can rely on to take absolute minimal effort and still be delicious. It’s a big favourite! When following the early phases of low FODMAP diet and not eating garlic, I sorely missed being able to grab a jar from the supermarket and dollop it on my dinner. Luckily I soon discovered that homemade pesto is even more tasty AND incredibly easy to make. This spinach and walnut pesto is fresh, herby, zingy and of course made low FODMAP by using garlic-infused olive oil.
Making the spinach and walnut pesto is a simple case of toasting your walnuts in the oven for 10 minutes, before chucking everything in a food processor. The final result is a smooth, vibrant green sauce that’s ready to add straight into your meals. I’ll often make this in a big batch and freeze portions for later.
Ways to serve spinach & walnut pesto
My favourite way to use pesto is mixed through a bowl of chicken and broccoli pasta. But pasta isn’t pesto’s only friend! Why not try:
- Using as a pizza sauce/topping
- Mixing into a salad dressing
- Drizzling over boiled or roast potatoes
- Making a cheese and pesto toastie
- Tossing through roasted vegetables
Let me know if you give the pesto a go by leaving a comment below, or tagging your photos on Instagram @BlueSkyEating. I hope you’ll agree that homemade is the way forward!
Low FODMAP Spinach & Walnut Pesto
- 50 g walnuts
- 55 ml garlic-infused olive oil
- 35 g spinach (washed)
- 15 g fresh basil (washed)
- 15 g fresh parsley (washed)
- 40 g parmigiano reggiano cheese (grated)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan.
- Place the walnuts on a tray and bake for approx. 10 minutes until golden and toasted.
- Add the walnuts to a food processor, along with all other ingredients.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 4 months.
Please note that nutritional information is based on estimated quantities and therefore not always 100% accurate.
This color is stunning!!! Love these fresh flavors
Absolutely amazing! So delicious!
This looks so good and healthy!
Lovely recipe for spinach & walnut pesto. Loved the vibrant green color.